Make your Paper Impressive by Writing Good Hooks for Essays
The term essay hooks is the introductory part of the essay that grabs the reader’s attention. It gives him a chance to decide and make up his mind whether to continue reading your work or not. The hooks for essays are actually the baits for readers. While writing any essay, one has to make sure that the topic you choose and the overall article must be appealing to the audience. This way one will be able to grab the attention of readers. It is an interesting sentence or phrase that captures the attention and glues the reader to your piece of writing.
The hooks for any essay usually appear in the first sentence of the article. It could be some interesting quote, a well-known fact, a statistic or some famous last words. There are numerous types of hooks for essays that the writer can utilize. This does not mean that you can use only a single type, you can use as many hooks as you want, the main aim is to make your work creative and attractive so that the reader is compelled to read.
The popular hook sentences for essays that are used for articles include the following:
- Shocking statements – a startling statement can attract people easily to join the conversation. By using this type of essay hook, the reader can actually impose an idea to the reader that would either shock or provoke him.
- Scene hook – the scene hook instantly instructs the mind of the reader to picture the scene. For instance, you can start the essay by mentioning that your friend was a famous Bollywood star or narrating an incident that took place with you or with your friend.
- Literary quote hooks – this type of hook is mostly used in articles that are not fictional in nature. Certain quotes from popular works such as Romeo and Juliet could become really nice hooks especially when the theme of the essay is a utopian one.
- Humorous hook – using a humorous hook in your essay does not necessarily mean that the work has to be in comedic platform. You can use some humor in your essay by simply providing a statement that is ridiculously funny or absurd. Adding humor into your work makes the article more exciting and develops the reader’s interest into the topic.
- Question hook – using question hooks in the article can actually lure readers to read the article. To make your article more enticing frame the question in such a way that it is an open ended question, meaning that it can’t accept a YES or a NO for the answer. Start the essay with a question that requires the readers to answer and they become inquisitive to read the rest of the article.
- Quotes from famous people – a popular and famous personality may have more authority and influence as compared to others. Writing a quote from a famous person’s speech or writings can become an essay hook as well. For instance, you can write a quote from Mahatma Gandhi’s speech while writing article on non-violence.
Writing hooks for essay can be considered as the tip of an iceberg. This means it gives a beautiful introduction and a great start to the topic in an essay. Hence, a writer should pay attention on the overall presentation of the essay and give their best to attract the readers to go through their work.